The dream of integrated photonic chip is not far away. Here are some related information on this topic:
- This paper has details on history of silicon photonics
- Intel's silicon photonics: How Silicon Photonics Works; Moving Data with silicon and light.
- Nature Photonics: Silicon Photonics issue
- A start-up company named Compass-EOS, based in California and in Israel, was the first to present a commercial silicon-to-photonics router.
- Silicon Optical Property can be found here.
- Low-index and high-index Optical Waveguides can be found here.
- Another low-index material for photonic waveguides is Silicon OxyNitride. See this article:"Silicon-Oxynitride (SiON) for Photonic Integrated Circuits", DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1557/PROC-574-255